The Specialist in Education (Ed.S.) program in Special Education offered in the Department of Teacher Education provides advanced study for qualified educators. The program of study builds upon work completed at the master’s level; targets the knowledge and skills for translating research into evidence-based practices with students with disabilities; and prepares advanced practitioners to be architects of change and leaders in the professional community. The Specialist in Education program in Special Education is organized around cohorts. Each cohort is supervised by one faculty member who assures that students meet all program standards prior to graduation. This program is configured in a blended format with classes meeting selected Saturdays with substantial work online. Applicants for this program are required to hold current clear renewable T-5 level certification in Special Education through the Georgia Professional Standards Commission as a prerequisite for admission. Interviews are conducted as part of the admission process. Applicants who have submitted all application materials will be contacted by the department to schedule the interview.
The Specialist in Education program requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework beyond the Master of Education degree or the Master of Arts in Teaching degree. Specialist programs must be completed, with the degree awarded, within six years of the initial coursework listed on the program of study. Only those courses listed on the Program of Graduate Study fulfill degree requirements. Substitutions must be approved by the advisor prior to course enrollment and a Change of Graduate Program of Study form submitted to the office of the Department chairperson. Grades below a B do not fulfill degree requirements.
- GPA Requirement:
- Option 1: Applicants who have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.2 from a regionally accredited university may be considered for admission to College of Education Ed.S. programs OR
- Option 2: Applicants who have completed a graduate degree with an overall GPA between 3.0 and 3.19 from a regionally accredited university and hold 3 successful years of teaching experience, as documented by a letter from the current employer, may be considered for admission to a College of Education Ed.S. program.
- Certification in Special Education
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation from professional references (at least one of which is an immediate supervisor/administrator) who are able to speak to candidate’s qualifications.
- Statement of professional purpose for seeking Ed.S. degree (Not to exceed 2-pages)
- University Admissions Form
Ms. Parris Story
CBX 70 Georgia College
217A Kilpatrick Education Center
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-1383 Fax: 478-445-6582
Dr. Stephen Wills
John H. Lounsbury College of Education
202A Kilpatrick Education Center | Campus Box 70
Milledgeville, GA 31061
Phone: (478) 445-7368
Fax: (478) 445-6582